On Thursday afternoon, I took Blake to get blood drawn. I had to give Braden the whole run down of what "might" happen. We talked about the nurses using a needle to get some of Blake's blood out of his body and that he might cry and he might be sad. But he would be safe and that the nurses' were there to help him not hurt him. As for myself, I had to give myself a small (very small) pep talk before going in (nothing worse than having your baby stuck with needles and you have to hold him while they do it). As the nurses were getting ready they asked how he does when he got shots. My answer was that he holds grudges towards the nurses and he lets them "loudly" know about it! And then they said they were done (sticking him). Nothing. Nothing at all. Not even a little bit of a whine, not a scream, not a cry, nothing. My sweet little boy was a trooper and WATCHED them take 3 viles of blood. That was more than what this Momma can do when she has to give blood! They put the wrap on his arm and he let out a small cry, because of course he HATES bandaids!
Now to what you are all thinking, "Why did Blake have his blood drawn?" To make a long story short: he has had an issue since he was a newborn that when he gets hurt that he will breathe in and not breathe out-which means he doesn't cry for a minute. His face goes red/purple and his lips go purple. Now on a normal case you just blow in his mouth or on his face and he would catch his breath. Fast forward to Monday evening. The boys were playing on the floor knocking down towers and he fell (2 inches) off Nick's lap and hit his head on the stacking cups (nothing hard). He started this "issue" like normal. Nick was blowing on his and nothing was happening. As I looked over I saw his head go forwards and backwards, I yelled to Nick, "he isn't breathing." Then he came to and everything was fine. I called the doctor and he said it is an issue called "breath holding spell." It will cause no issue with him (long-term) and he will grow out of it. They were running some test to check his iron level, which could be causing these "spells." The results from the blood tests should be in a few days. If you are wanting more information on this, this website with a lot of useful information:http://www.answers.com/topic/breath-holding-spells. We will keep everyone posted on what the results come back as.

No comments:
Post a Comment