Sunday, January 24, 2010

We are so thankful...

Sleeping in his bed at the hospital.
His new life (at least for a little bit)!

It all started last Sunday at Church when Blake started to cough. Then throughout the day he just wasn't himself. He spiked a fever that night, but Nick and I didn't think anything about it. We thought he was just getting a cold- it is January right? When we got to school on Monday morning I got a call (remember because I work there) from a parent in his room that their little boy (and Blake's best bud) was in the hospital with RSV. Yikes! This made me nervous because of his history with RSV (he had it at a week old and was in the hospital for a few days) and with him having asthma he is already starting with a strike against him. So called Dr. E I did, got him into the office that morning, we agreed that some meds were going to help, and off we went. Monday night he was a hot mess while he slept- breathing so hard, laboring to breathe, etc. I just didn't feel good about it. We wanted to see how the day would go and another night. We also wanted to give his meds a chance to work. The day wasn't outstanding and his night followed suite to the day and the night before. I told myself that if the night wasn't better we would call the doctor again in the morning. And that is just what I did. We got another appointment for that afternoon (of course that is all they had!). Once we got there Dr. E did LOTS of checking him out and decided a nebulizer treatment may work. We did that and it didn't even touch it. We checked his oxygen and it was just fine, but something WAS wrong with him we just weren't sure what. So he was admitted into the hospital. Braden was a bit worried when he heard Dr. E tell us this. I could see his eyes filling with water. So we had to have a talk about how the doctors were going to help Blake and his breathing. He was okay with it then. Braden was with me when we were at the office and when being admitted to the hospital. And thank God he was an angel. He was perfect and patient and wonderful and a fab big brother. I am so proud of him! The doctors and nurses even commented how great he was being. So long story short we were thankfully in the hospital for only 24 hours. He never needed oxygen, his chest x-rays came back clean, he was confirmed positive for RSV, he got a breathing treatment every 4 hours, he had every nurse/doctor wrapped around his little finger, and we are now the proud owners of a nebulizer. This will be our new life for awhile giving him breathing treatments. He is okay with them and we are ALL getting used it them. We are so thankful that he is getting better. We are also so thankful for all our family and friends that were blowing up our phones with calls and texts to check in on him and to see what we needed. You feel really blessed when situations like this happen. Thankfully we didn't need anything but it was so nice to feel like if we did, we would have had a ton of people to help! Situations like this also give you an appreciation for families that have children with life threatening illness and or in the hospitals for long period of times. I can't even explain how it feels to feel so helpless for your child. We are so thankful that all he had was a little RSV and is on the road to recovery.

4 comments:

  1. We went through the same thing with Sydney about a year ago. It was so scary but thankfully nothing too serious. We also own a Neb. We are so glad to hear that all is well and you all are on the road to recovery. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear he was sick. It's just traumatizing to not be able to do anything to make your child feel better. Glad to hear he's on the mend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about all of you - Allison filled me in on all of the happenings. So, glad he is better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez Louise! I am so glad things are starting to look up. It is so hard to see your kid sick. It was just a year ago when Sophs hurt her neck in Madison. I took her to the ER and I was crying more than she was. Take care.

    ReplyDelete